In May 1888 Stevenson spent about a month in Brielle, New Jersey along the Manasquan River (Monmouth|Ocean, New Jersey)
. On the river is a small wooded island, then commonly known as "Osborn Island
". One day Stevenson visited the island and was so impressed he whimsically re-christened it "Treasure Island
" and carved his initials into a bulkhead. This took place five years after he had completed the novel. To this day, many still refer to the island as such. It is now officially named Nienstedt Island
, honoring the family who donated it to the borough.
This island is frequented by river traffic as a place to rest weary arms (after a long paddle), or just a nice place to relax and have a drink. The island itself offers multiple trails crisscrossing the woods, beach areas that allow anyone to come ashore, and a nice relaxing atmosphere.